Thursday, May 24, 2007

Where are you looking?

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up.
— Jesse Jackson

OK, I admit I think I was pretty geeky in high school. I read a lot and got good grades. I also was known by everyone in school as well. Why? Because I never looked down on anyone. I hung out with the band, the punkers, the jocks, the popular people, the nerds. You name the clique, I knew at least two people from it. When I hung out with someone it was because of who they were on the inside, not on the outside.

Even when I went on to work I would hang out with a variety of people, except the group of girls I knew who never washed their hands after using the restroom. Variety is the spice of life. You never know the story behind a person's life, unless they tell you, that makes them who they are today. So why would you look down on them?

I know people in social settings tend to flock together with their own "groups", but it is always great to get out of your comfort zone and talk to someone who you would never regularly talk you. You never know what you can learn. I LOVE watching Beauty and the Geek. You will usually see the girls talking bad about the guys up front because why would they want to hang out with a geek? By the end of the show they realize that the guys aren't as bad as they thought.

Next time you come across someone you normally look down on, why not look up and see what you are missing.

No comments: