Monday, June 11, 2007

Aahhh...winter, spring, summer, fall

Childhood is the most beautiful of all life's seasons.
— Anonymous

Have you ever just sat in a park and watched the kids at play? Or what about people watching at Disneyland or somewhere similar? I have and I find it fascinating. Watching the looks of wonder and puzzlement when a small child comes across something new or the smile on their face when they are enjoying something they are doing is great to watch.

Whether you don't have kids or you do, and you can get beyond the crying, screaming, and acting out, childhood is beautiful. I remember when I was younger and how I could turn anything into fun. Whether it was taking a piece of paper and turning it into a fancy folded letter to one of my friends or rolling down a hill of grass and laughing the whole way down, it was a time when I could be whatever I wanted and be free of all responsibilities. OK, I still had to make my bed, but it was nothing compared to the responsibilities adults face today.

There are people out there today who try to take childhood and turn it into something ugly and dirty. Don't let them. For those of you who have children, sit where they can't see you and just watch them for a few minutes. It takes you back to your yesteryear and lets you be a part of your childhood again.

I am going to go down and buy a snow cone machine this weekend and make snow cones again with my son. The price of a snow cone may have gone up from when I sold them as a child, but the memories will always be priceless.

No comments: