Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Concierge Service guides editorial

As the owner of an errand and concierge service, and as an expert in the industry, from time to time I will purchase other guides out there to see how well written or poorly written they are. I recently purchased four e-guides and would like to provide my opinions on them.

1. The FabJob Guide to Become a Personal Concierge Business Owner

I was truly impressed with this guide. To begin with, the layout of the guide was user friendly and helpful. There were instructions to direct you to each part of the guide. After giving it a read over I found that it was full of helpful information and I felt someone could learn useful things about the industry reading this guide. Well worth the money.

2. Style Career.com’s Breaking Into and Succeeding in Concierge Service

I was not impressed with this guide at all and requested a refund, which I promptly received. The information, in my opinion, seemed like it was gathered from various places on the web along with a few interviews and then put together. The information contained in it was very basic and did not have as much meat as I thought it would have for the price.

3. 125aday.com Publishing’s Start Your Own Concierge Service!

This guide is a total scam. It did not mention once how to start your own concierge service. It was basically a how to start a (you insert whatever industry you want) business guide because the information contained in it was about starting a business in general and not the how to’s in regards to any particular industry. I was appalled that they would try to sell this information as a step by step guide. Because they have strict return policies, I could not get my money back, as I downloaded it as an e-book, but I did write two scathing emails that were never answered. Stay far, far away from this guide. It is so not worth the money.

4. Concierge and Errand Service Business Startup Guide from www.doit-4-u.com

RIP OFF!!!!!!!!! I had to contact Paypal after my claim was denied and found a nice gentleman who heard my story and gave me a refund on this guide. I sent numerous emails to the owner of the website over a several day period and did not receive one response. He states that he has been in business for 15 years, but I don’t see any of it in this guide. His “forms” are taken from Microsoft Office. While he has gone in and cleaned up the look of the website, my dog could have written a better guide. Do not waste a penny on this guide.

These are just my opinions, but for someone who has been in business for a decade and continues to run a successful business, I think I have an idea of what makes for helpful information and what doesn’t. The final decision is up to you, but I wanted to give you a heads up on what is available for those in the industry.

No comments: