Sunday, February 25, 2007

Multitasking is not always a good thing

Ok, I know we are all trying to get a million things done, but I learned recently that multitasking does not always work. I was driving out to a client's home to pick up some dry cleaning. I was sick with a cold so I should have known not to answer the phone while I was driving. Why? After listening to some woman ramble on about her business and where she wanted to take it, mind you she was not making any sense during our conversation, I started to hack up a lung.

So here I am driving along PCH, I have the phone in one hand, the steering wheel in the other, and I am trying to open up a bottle of something to drink because I am coughing really bad. I started to swerve because I was having trouble trying to open up the bottle and I am wishing she would just shut up and get off of the phone, but of course she keeps rambling on even after she hears me coughing horribly.

Needless to say I had to swerve back into my lane, put the drink between my legs and open it up that way, take a swig, and then tell her I had to go. I safely got to where I needed to go, but after that near miss I stopped answering the phone the rest of the day. Multitasking is only good for certain things, like putting a load of dishes on to wash while you are rushing to put a load of laundry on so you can get back to your show before the commercials end.

No comments: