Friday, March 02, 2007

What's your definition of success?

There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich.
— Marlene Dietrich

When I was growing up my family was far from being rich. I remember eating mustard sandwiches when I was younger. However, we were rich in other things. My mom, two sisters, and I would stand up in the living room and sing songs from the South Pacific soundtrack and put on our own show. I set up my own library for everyone to check out my books, we had a grocery store in the kitchen, and my sister had a little tent that was our Post Office. We had fun playing and thought we were so cool. I was rich with love and family.

When I first started my business, and even to this day, I am asked, "How successful are you?" Yes, my business makes enough money that I can splurge on all kinds of fun stuff, but that is not being successful to me. I love the fact that I get to stay home with my kids and I get to travel on getaways with my family and that I am able to share my knowledge with others.

I get to enjoy my family and friends I have and the new acquaintances I make every month. I am receiving my college diploma in May at my graduation ceremony. One I didn't need, but that I take great pride in earning because of all of the wonderful knowledge I was taking in that I could share with others. I can control whether I get to sleep in all day or whether I am creating a new product for others.

I am rich and successful and it does not have anything to do with my bank account.

No comments: