Thursday, October 12, 2006

Don't Do Today What You Can Put Off Until Tomorrow

Ok, ok. I know what you are going to say. It is supposed to be the other way around. Well, I have to admit that there are times when you do need to put things off. Trying to burn both ends of the candle will not only make you exhausted, but will make you begin to have feelings of resentment towards yourself and others.

I have those days where I have gone, gone, gone and just want to take a break. I am not talking about always taking a week vacation every time you need a break, but build in mini vacations. An hour here, a weekend there, a day here, or a couple of hours there. When you feel rejuvenated, you become more focused on the task at hand.

In America we run ourselves ragged and end up with physical as well as mental issues because we don't take care of ourselves like we should. I am jealous of France. They close up for 5-8 weeks per year, sometimes longer. I wouldn't take all of that time off at once, but just knowing it is there for the taking would help me feel more relaxed.

This morning I woke up feeling refreshed and focused after sleeping in a little. I started on a list of chores that needed to be done and am getting ready for my big business weekend. I have also played a little bit of hooky and watched some shows I had TiVo'd earlier in the week. Do I feel unproductive because I am watching TV and not working? To be honest, no. I put in many hours during the week between school, my business, my family, and my other volunteer work I take part in. I feel I deserve some "me" time.

Take a catnap, watch a show you didn't get to see earlier in the week, take the kids to McDonald's for some ice cream, or whatever would make you happy. Get some "you" time in. There is always another day.

No comments: