Sunday, October 08, 2006

It Goes On

My sister and I were talking and I had asked her if she had any words of wisdom. She said that one of her favorite quotes is "There are three words that sum up my life: It Goes On." I thought to myself how true that is. Regardless of whether you are happy, sad, in the slumps, stressed, a death has occurred, you have gotten married, had children, and the list could go on and on, life still goes on and time keeps ticking away.

When I am feeling stressed out trying to meet my many deadlines, both personal and business, I let things go and come back to them. There are many times when I am writing my newsletter and I draw a blank. I walk away from the computer knowing the issue will go out, just not at that moment. I focus on other things and come back to my computer when my mind is ready. At first I would stress out wanting everything to go out on time. Now, I just tell myself that life goes on and no one is going to black ball me because they didn't receive an issue at 7:00 a.m. on the dot.

Every year during the football season we host college football parties each weekend. I love to put together parties, so I would run myself ragged doing it. This year my oldest son is in his high school marching band and has many weekend events. My youngest son is playing flag football and his games are on Saturdays. I have relied on party trays, crockpot meals, and plenty of potluck help to put these parties together. Everyone has still enjoyed themselves regardless of what is put out for the spread.

My husband has a tendency to get sick when he is really stressed out. He always asks me how I can remain so calm. I tell him, "Does stressing out make the problem go away?" with which he replies, "No" so I tell him, "I am not going to make myself physically ill over a situation I cannot control at this moment."

As I have been in the car with my husband, there is always at least one jerk on the road. You know the person. They think the world revolves around them and they should be allowed to cut you off or speed because where they have to go is much more important than where you have to go. I get mad and will tell them off, obviously with the windows up and out loud to myself in the car. My husband will tell me that I will probably never see them again, so don't sweat it. I have learned to say, "Oh well." and keep driving. I keep the radio on to distract me from life's worries on the road.

When we have great things happen to us, we always remember them. When bad things happen, we sometimes tend to dwell on them. Instead of doing that, think of the quote and know that if you dwell on the bad things, life will still go on and it will pass you by.

No comments: