Saturday, October 21, 2006

Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy.

The above quote is by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I thought it was very apropos considering some of the people I have run into this week. I have to be honest here. My mom ingrained manners into my head so much that I automatically say "Please" and "Thank you" without batting an eye, just as I easily take a breath without thinking about it. Even when I have fits of silent road rage or I am upset about something and tend to go off on little tirades, at the end of the day my manners are still there. If I am out in public and use my manners, people have looks of surprise in their eyes as if I had just uttered the magic words that no one else knows.

I have opened many a door to see the person glide through, not say a word, and act as if they are the King or Queen and as their lowly peasant it's my job. Sorry, but it's not my job. I am just trying to be courteous. Just this week I had a salesperson taking on the phone and look at me, as I came to the register, as if I was interrupting something important. I thought that as a paying customer that maybe I should come first, as I am paying for them to stand there and talk with their friends. Just a wild thought on my part I guess.

It reminds me of that Liberty Mutual commercial they currently have playing where the gentleman at the beginning picks up a doll that the little girl in the stroller drops and hands it to her. Someone sees him doing it, they in turn help someone out, someone sees them helping, and the cycle goes on and on until the end of the commercial where someone helps by picking up the stuffed toy the beginning guy's child drops and gives it to the child.

I know this is a dog eat dog world now and that manners, along with great customer service, have pretty much flown out the window, but if we could all take the time, about 5 seconds or less, to say "Please", "Thank you", "No thank you", "Excuse me", and so on, maybe the world will catch on to this wild haired idea and start to do the same thing.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: