Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Are you a people pleaser?

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.
— Raymond Hull

Are you ones of those people who bends over backwards to please everyone? If you are, then you are shorting yourself. I try to always go the extra mile for my clients, but there is a line I draw. Why? There are always people who will be grateful for what you do for them and then there are others who just expect it.

Many people are afraid to say "No" when people ask them to do things. They don't want to be the one to disappoint someone else, but what about when you are disappointed? Most people pleasers suck it up and think that they will eventually be able to make everyone happy.

It is one thing to want to make sure your family, friends, and clients are happy, but it is definitely another thing when you allow people to walk all over you. I had a client who I had done everything I could to make her happy. I had forgiven her several times when she flaked on me, I tried to be accommodating to her schedule, and I finally got fed up.

One of my professors told me that it is OK to fire your clients if they are not contributing to your business. I am one of those types of people who does not like confrontations and I try to stay below the radar. I was really afraid to fire her. I felt bad that I might hurt her feelings. After two months I finally got up the nerve to fire her. Guess what? I didn't feel bad afterwards. Instead I felt relief.

I still will do little things here and there to make someone feel better, but I have learned my boundaries and where I will draw the line on pleasing people. What are your boundaries?

No comments: