Monday, March 05, 2007

Do you forgive those that have wronged you?

Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself.
— Harriet Nelson

I have had many times during my life where someone has wronged me. Some of these wrongs were small and others were bigger. I could spend the rest of my life holding on to my anger towards the person, but what good will that do me? Many people get physically sick over the bad feelings that they harbor towards others. And there are still others who take their bad feelings too far and end up in trouble.

When you are able to forgive someone, it lifts that weight off your shoulders. No one is asking you to forget what happened, but your heart only has so much room in it. If it is filled with bad feelings, then there is no room for the good feelings. If someone has committed a wrong against you that they can never be fully punished for, your being angry will not bring any more justice to you.

There will always be people in this world, family, friends, strangers, clients, and so on, who commit wrongs against people who have no remorse for what they did. You will find others who really are sorry for the actions they took and they try to make amends for those wrongs. Is it really your place to put judgment on them?

If you want a heart that is full of love and happiness, then you need to forgive.

No comments: