Wednesday, September 05, 2007

How much personal space do you have?

I was at Target the other day and I was at a counter that was set up as a register. There wasn't much room. As I was conducting my transaction and getting ready to pay, I noticed that the people behind me were basically breathing down my neck. I leaned over to cover the machine where you slide your card and pay, as a hint to them to back up, and they kept right on talking. Then I leaned over again to punch in a few numbers. They were still up in my space. I said something to my daughter, who has no shame in embarrassing people in public or calling it like it is, and she started saying how people needed to back up and give space. They never did so we walked out of the store bashing them.

Have you ever been in a public place where people invade your personal space? I know that what is acceptable in one country may not be acceptable in another, but come on. Learn the rules. There is no need for you to be practically on my back while it is my turn at the cash register. I would never get up in anyone's space. My sister is very defensive when people invade her space. She likes to give the evil eye. I'll admit that I walked backwards into someone before and never said sorry. When they started to say something, I told them, "If you weren't all up in my business then we wouldn't have this problem, now would we?" She backed up real quick.

I know I may sound harsh, but I get testy when people are hovering on you like flies on you know what. I know that people are building houses on top of each other because there is not much space left, but we are not at a point where we need to be standing on someone else's shoulders for more space. If you see someone is in the middle of a business transaction or looking at a jar of food in the aisle, you don't need to be their right hand man.

Right now everyone is sleeping, so I have all the space I need to write this post. Oh wait, I have to go elbow the dog, she is in my personal space.

No comments: