Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What do you regret?

As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. — Zachary Scott

As we go through the road of life there are always bound to be detours due to circumstances that may or may not be out of our control. If we never re-visit those areas, there are bound to be regrets of views we never saw or places we didn't stop at. Sometimes it is fear that keeps us from returning.

I had gone to college right out of high school, didn't like what I was studying, and then ended up getting married and having children and not returning. I had always had in the back of my heart that regret of not being able to be like many of my friends and get a college degree. Guess what? I graduated from college recently with a degree in Entrepreneurship. It took a lot of hard work and time, but I was able to go back and accomplish something I thought had been a closed road for a long time.

I love to cross stitch, but after having kids, things just got hectic and I never found the time to go back to it. I have now found time again to go back to it because a friend just recently had a baby and I wanted to give them a gift that came straight from my heart and hands. Cross stitching also allows me to relax when I am stressed out as I have to concentrate on what I am doing and the repetitive motion lets me calm down.

I don't want to be one of those persons sitting in their rocking chair when they get older reminiscing about all of the things I would have loved to have done. Instead, I want to be the one reflecting back on all of the things I did get to do during my life. With the kids getting older, I still have a life to live. I want to be able to go to Hawaii and take a cruise around the world. I want to see my kids graduate from college and start their own families.

I am going to do what I can to make sure that I don't have too many regrets in life. What about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a few things I regret. The first is being neive and falling for a married man when I was almost 18 the result of that even though we were together for three years and he left his wife was that I missed out on alot of things normal teenagers do I didnt even go to my prom my biggest regret beside realizing now that I hurt people by my own selfish actions. The other thing I regret is when I was in college I sorter gave up on my studies I lost focus and although this really nice guy came into the picture then I should have had my eye on finishing school with a promising career instead I ended up pregnant 6 months later. I had my first child with him and then my second 5 years later we are now married and I couldnt be more unhappy. I thought the ideal of being with him was great but he isnt the ideal person for me. He gives a whole new meaning to how to spot a loser. I think I have felt that I deserve him and I don't know if its because of guilt or insecurities about my own potential. I had a plan but I didnt follow it. I am suppose to be somewhere in England seeing the rest of the world, unmarried with a good career just now at 31 thinking about meeting my ideal man getting married and having kids. I can say though the only good thing/things that came out of my series of regrets are my two children and the knowledge I have now to change the rest of my life and their future.