Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Has the R word gotten you down?

If you were to pick up a newspaper or watch the news or listen to the radio, it seems that most people have this tone of "I'm just throwing in the towel" about the situation around them. Yes houses are going into foreclosure and grocery prices are rising and more autos are being repossessed and the world as we know it just seems to be crumbling at our feet, but if we take that attitude, we go down with the sinking ship. I don't know about you, but when I watched Titanic, I wanted to be like Rose and Jack and do what I had to do to survive.

You can survive too. Sure those in the service sector are feeling the pinch, but when I am at a mall, grocery store, or just driving around the streets, there are still cars filling up the parking stalls. That means people are still spending money. You just have to convince them to spend their money on you. Create a compelling message of why they need you just as much as you need them. (Just don't sound desperate on your part!) Talk with your current customers. If they are talking with friends, employees, co-workers, and clients, they have an idea of who has money to spend and who doesn't. Referrals will be the key during this time.

You will still need to attract new clients as well. If I was standing at a kiosk in a mall and I was down to my last $20, but you were able to explain to me what this product will do for me and how I could save money or time or save something else or be able to do more of something else all because I purchased your product, I can bet you with 98% probability that I would part with my $20. Your message has to compelling and you have to demonstrate why your product or service should be regarded like it is the Hope Diamond and you just have to get your hands on it.

So grab a lifesaver and swim to shore.

No comments: