Thursday, May 15, 2008

How are you handling your receipts?

Paper, paper everywhere. Everyone has a pile of papers in their home somewhere. I know mine keeps growing and growing, even though my intentions to rid myself of it are good. What about all of the receipts that people hoard. You know you don't want to lose your receipt so that you can easily return an item that is broken, doesn't fit, or that you just didn't like, but what if you can never find the receipt because it is lost in a pile of paper somewhere?

For those of us in the errand and concierge service industry, we handle receipts on a daily basis. Whether it is picking up groceries for a client or taking a car in for service or paying for dry cleaning, the receipts stack up. Instead of the clutter growing in your office or your client's home, why not use a service that will help you with the receipts. Someone sent me an email about a great service that I think many people are going to jump on the bandwagon for. It is called Shoeboxed and you can visit their website at www.shoeboxed.com. Many people are calling it the "Netflix for Receipts."

Think about it. If you charge, for example, $30 per hour and you waste 1/2 an hour of your time trying to dig up a receipt to send a copy to your client or because your accountant asked for it for a tax return, that's like flushing $15 down the toilet. Why? I would rather pay someone to take care of my receipts for me especially if the cost to pay them is cheaper than what I charge per hour and I can use that time to bill a client for running errands and still make money.

We are telling others to delegate their errands to us to make their lives easier and we should be doing the same. Outsourcing and delegate are two words that should definitely be in your vocabulary and used regularly. Instead of continually working in our business, we should be spending more time working on our business to help it grow.

No comments: