Friday, July 11, 2008

How persistent are you?

My son has been asking me all day when I would take him to the store so that he could go shopping with a gift card he has. Of course I told him later each time he came to me. I had an excuse each time. I was busy with work the first time, I had phone calls the next time, he had to complete his chores before we could go, and on and on. Well, he did everything I had asked him to do and now I am out of excuses. Will I be taking him? Of course. He was persistent about going, never missing a beat.

Why can't we as business owners be persistent too? Just because someone tells you "No" the first time you talk to them doesn't mean that they don't want your services or products. Unless they have stated that they would call the police or threatened you with bodily harm because they really don't want what you have to offer, keep trying.

What you need to do is look over how the first interaction went and figure out what changes you need to make. Was your first contact with them a hard sell? Did you explain to them a summarized version of what they would get from forging a relationship with you? Did your speech sound canned? Did you fumble around with your words because you lacked confidence?

Now is the time to view your "No" prospects as your "Come back and tell me what you can really do to get the sale" prospects. We all faced with people wanting to sell us something. Whether it is the Burger King employee trying to upsell your purchase by asking "Would you like fries with that?" or the flyer you find attached to your door from a local landscaping company or the little girl down the street going door to door with her ice chest trying to sell drinks on a hot day, you need to learn from those that have sold you on their product.

What made you interested in buying from them? Was it the look of the marketing materials? Was it the tone of their voice? Was it the unique way that they told their story to you? Those that are successful are persistent. Look to them for guidance.

No comments: