Saturday, July 05, 2008

Where do you come up with your pricing?

I was looking at a few pet sitting jobs that had been posted on SitterCity and could not believe some of the pricing that I saw. First, there was an ad from a person who was offering pet sitting/dog walking services. She wanted $50-$100 per visit. The second ad was from a woman who wanted someone to come to her home twice a day for $5-$15 per visit.

I started laughing out loud when I read both of those ads. Why?

The woman who placed the ad for pet sitting services lives about 7 miles from me. My gas to get there and back for each visit alone would cost more than she wanted to pay me. Basically my services would be for free. Why would I provide charity? I am in business and most people go into business to make money.

The woman who placed the ad to provide pet sitting/dog walking services was providing typical services that other pet sitters normally provide. She wasn't offering to cleaning a client's home and prune their bushes so that they spelled out "Welcome Home" when the client arrived back home. I understand the cost of gas has gone up, but please!

Both of these women did not price their pet sitting services right. The first woman's ad continues to stay up because she is underbidding what any respectable, professional pet sitter would ask for in return for their services. The second woman's ad will probably not get her too many clients because there was no real value for the price she was asking.

It is not that hard to go online and see what the going rates are for pet sitting services in your area. The woman who underbid will probably not find a licensed and bonded pet sitter, which she was asking for, for the price she is asking. She will probably have to settle for a neighborhood teenage kid or a relative to watch her animals while she is away. The woman who over quoted her price will find she was double, on the low end of her scale, to quadruple, on the high end of her scale, what others are asking and so her prospective clients will go elsewhere.

I have a pet sitting client who had sent me a confirmation email before his trip and had asked me if my rates had gone up because he wanted to cover the difference. I told him "Yes" and gave him the new rate. He had my check ready for my first visit along with a 20% tip. Why? Because he and his wife understand the true value of my services and are willing to pay my asking rate because his pets have been much happier staying at home instead of a kennel for the last couple of years that I have been pet sitting for them.

When you are putting together your pricing for your services, be reasonable, fair, and make sure that whatever services you are providing offer real value for your asking price.

No comments: