Monday, July 07, 2008

What's your message saying?

As I was heading out to IHOP for breakfast this morning I drove by the local boat shop. They had a banner hanging on the chain link fence in front of their business that said, "You only have 18 summers with your kids. How many do you have left?"

When I first drove by it, I only was able to see the first statement, but it was so intriguing that I made a point of going past the shop after breakfast and stopping to read the rest of it. Why? The message spoke to me personally. I have three kids of my own and the oldest is going to be 16 in September, which means that I only have a few summers left before he heads out on his own. If I was in the market for a boat right now, I would have definitely stopped in to see what else they had to say. Who knows. I may have walked out with a boat.

Are your messages speaking to your customers? Many people are too broad and general with their messages and therefore they don't provoke emotion in their prospective clients getting them to want to purchases their products or services. When you are putting together your messages pretend as if the person you want to reach is right in front of you and you are having a conversation with them. Talk to them and them only and your message should come across loud and clear.

For example, I have two dogs and two birds right now, although my daughter and youngest son are hatching up a plan to go steal a sheep in the middle of the night and bring it home. I know all about what it is like to have to go somewhere and worry about what to do with the animals. My daughter's dog will be a year old in August and I am constantly screaming about something new he has eaten up in our house. The older dog leaves "presents" in the hallway for us all of the time.

If I was putting together a flyer for prospective clients and talking about pet sitting services or mid-day potty breaks, I might state, "Have you come home recently to find your favorite pair of shoes are now your dog's favorite toy? If you have to work all day, let Angel At Your Service come by to check on your dog and make sure that your favorite shoes are where they are supposed to be." Or I could use, "Do you find little deposits all over your house when you come back home after a long day at work? Angel At Your Service can provide mid-day potty breaks so that your pet can take care of things outside and leave your carpet clean on the inside."

Look at your target market and make sure that your message is saying the right thing.

No comments: