Monday, January 15, 2007

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.

This quote is from Auguste Rodin. I have to admit that this is very true. I make mistakes every day of my life. Some big, some small. What I try to do is take something from that experience and apply it to my life, my work, and my family.

Although I have three children, who range in age from 9 to 14, I still learn new things about how to take care of them. What may have worked for my oldest does not necessarily work for my youngest. Some boo boo's I made with my middle one have not been passed on to my youngest. I also have fun learning from my children and my husband. Although this baby making machine has hit the "stop" switch, I can take these lessons to heart and use them with my grandchildren, far, far in the future.

Would you believe I have also made mistakes with my business? I know, you're probably thinking "Really, I would never expect that of her", but yes I have to admit it. I have learned and continue to learn and apply these changes. I used to not charge for shipping, waaaaay back in the day, when I first started selling my products. Then I realized that I was taking money out of my own pocket. That practice stopped after about one year.

When I first started my errand service I used to offer free advice to anyone that wanted it. I didn't mind doing so, but the time it took to do so was not helping me grow my business. I had an Aha! moment. Why not create a book and other products and sell them. At least I would be compensated for my time instead of working for nothing.

My husband has definitely not taken this quote to heart when it comes to cars, although he is getting better. We have gone through more cars than the amount of years we have been married, and let me tell you it seems a lot longer than the 15 years we have been married. We nag and bother each other, but what we do for 23 hours out of the day if we didn't.

My youngest son has learned that you do not place metal or paper into the microwave when he tried to set it on fire two times recently. My husband had to run into the kitchen to save the kitchen. After making him clean the mess and telling him that he would have to live in the garage if he burned down our home, he has taken our advice to heart. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I have pictures taped to the cupboard above the microwave showing him the things not to place in there with a huge red X over them.

Oh, I have also learned that when you are backing up in your husband's truck and hit a branch and it puts a dent in the back of the truck, to blame it on him and continue to do so years after the fact. Tell him that it must have been one of those times he was in a hurry to back up and wasn't paying attention and he didn't realize what happened until after he looked at his truck several days later. I am not saying that I did this exactly, but that this is an experience that can be learned from.

Take your experiences in life and learn from them so that they do not become a waste of time.

No comments: