Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What do you live for?

What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
— George Eliot

I have to admit that as the owner of an errand and concierge service that my main duty is to make someone's life less difficult. But what about outside of the job? What do you do for others?

For me, I try to say "Please" and "Thank you" as often as possible. If you have your blinker on and I see you struggling to get over, I let you in. If I am in a restroom and I notice that the lady behind me looks like she is about to wet herself, I let her go in front. If I am in public and notice that you are elderly, disabled, or it looks like you are having difficulty manuvering the door, I hold it open for you. All of these acts help to make someone else's life less difficult.

What about in your business? Do you do things to make life less difficult for your customers? Little things and big things all count. It could be taking credit cards as payment. It could be staying open a little longer for that client who really needs your last minute help. It could be that thank you card you leave for your client after you have finished a house or pet sitting assignment. It could be calling to check in on a client who isn't feeling well.

For my husband and children I make sure that they get up in the morning for their activities, I hand over my money so that they can do the things that they like to do, I make sure that they have clothes on their back and food to fill their bellies. Ok, I have also been known to help with homework a time or two. I accomodate their schedules even when it interfers with mine. I do this to make their lives as easy as possible.

Life in general is difficult. Instead of adding to life's difficulties, why not take action to subtract one of those difficulties when you can. This includes your life as well.

No comments: