Thursday, January 04, 2007

Open the door for someone and your heart

Have you ever been out somewhere and seen someone struggling with packages, a wheelchair, their small children, or even a door and watched as people passed them by left and right without a passing glance? I have every day.

I happened to be at the Post Office yesterday and I was pulling into a parking spot I noticed that a woman in a van who had pulled into the spot next to me had parked and gotten out of her car to help a woman two spots over who was struggling with several packages that she could hardly carry to into the Post Office.

A couple of days after Christmas I happened to be in Michael's Craft Store. As I was at the register I could see a woman a couple of spots behind me in line struggling with her items she was going to purchase. She hadn't gotten a cart because she thought she was only going to grab a thing or two. I had prepared and grabbed a cart. The lady in front of her and behind her kept picking up little boxes she kept dropping. I emptied my basket before I reached the cash register, since I could pile everything into my two hands and offered her my cart. Even though no one was obligated to help her out, we all felt it was the right thing to do.

I went to dinner last night with my husband and youngest son and the little boys in front of me opened up the door so I could pass through. Each of the boys held a different door open. They didn’t have to, but they were trained well. I told each of them thank you.

Recently there was the news story about the gentleman who jumped on the tracks of the subway to save a man who was having a seizure. He didn't spend long thinking about doing it. He just did it. Although he is getting a hero's welcome everywhere, I am sure that was far from his mind when he gave of himself to someone else.

Not everyone will appreciate your gesture, as some act as if you are obligated to do so for them because they hold the special title of “I am the almighty something or other.” I would love to tell you what that something or other is, but I think you get the gist of what it would be.

The unappreciative are the ones that even if they don’t say a word or acknowledge your actions, you will know deep inside that you helped. All it takes it just a moment of your time to do something simple for someone and those that are truly thankful for what you did will not only appreciate it, but your heart will as well.

No comments: