Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How do you get creative?

My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living.
— Anais Nin

I have to admit that I am a very creative person. I love to make things for people, put parties together, cross stitch, and do so many different creative things. Even in my business I have been very creative, whether it has to do with solving a client's not so usual errand request, dealing with an unhappy customer, or even putting together my products I sell.

I have days where I sit at my desk thinking of things to write and my mind stalls. Then I start to think about something I saw, tasted, felt, touched and my living in that moment draws inspiration. Just the everyday things I experience could create some really great stories, although with my life, the real ones can sometimes seem unbelievable.

I have always told family and friends that if they were to put a camera in my home and follow my family around, people would watch and I could make lots of money. My youngest son has such a sharp wit and quizzical mind that sometimes my mouth hurts from laughing so hard. I think I could make lots of money writing about my daughter and her friends because their lives are just one big soap opera. My oldest son, well let's just say that I could right a behavioral book on what makes teenage boys just downright crazy. (That puberty is just killing me.)

Whether you are looking at ideas on what services to offer in your business, party ideas, or whatever other ideas you need, draw on what should inspire you the most...Life.

No comments: