Saturday, April 07, 2007

How do you spend your time?

It's how we spend our time here and now, that really matters. If you are fed up with the way you have come to interact with time, change it.--Marcia Wieder

Since we are given only one chance to spend the time we have in our time account, we need to spend it wisely. As babies, we spent most of our time sleeping or eating, but that was good enough for us. When we were toddlers and young children, our best use of time was playing with our friends or running around the neighborhood. I spent a lot of my time reading, which is a habit that has followed me through my life.

When we were pre-teens and teenagers, we wanted to spend our time getting out of homework, hanging out with our friends, and pretending that our parents didn't exist. (Parents are so embarrassing to be seen with as I am learning now from my own kids.)

Then we hit adulthood. Time doesn't seem to stop as it used to. Instead it seems to keep flying by. Pretty soon a year has passed before you know it, then five, then a decade, and then all of a sudden your kids are grown up and you wonder where time went. There were so many things you didn't get to do or that you were planning on doing, but now there is no time left.

With the hectic lifestyles created by technology and all that it affords, people have become fed up with time because there just isn't enough of it anymore. Everyone wants to squeeze in a few hours more into the day only to end up exhausted and have to start the cycle over the next day.

Outsourcing is a great word. I take advantage of it whenever and wherever I can. I have the grocery store deliver my groceries, I bank online, I have the Post Office send me my mailing supplies, I take advantage of the office supply stores shipping to my home what it is that I need, I have take out food delivered when I can, and the list could go on and on.

Why do I do this? So I can spend the time I would have used completing these tasks myself doing what I want to do and not what I need to do. That includes reading a new book, taking a nap, watching TV, taking the kids out, working on my business, and even just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

People work long hours to be able to purchase things that they can't enjoy because their interaction with time does not mesh well. They need to change their ways, but many people are stuck in the mindset that they need to do everything themselves and don't want to look at outsourcing to help them out, whether it is in the form of an errand service, family helping out, or using the web to take care of things. They wait until something drastic happens in their lives for them to take a look at their priorities with time and for others it is too late.

Look at the 24 hours you have everyday and make changes so that your interactions with time really matter.

No comments: