Monday, April 16, 2007

What are your priorities?

Sometimes we get caught up in this game we call life and then when it is time to finish the game we realize all of the spots on the game board that we missed. I have been extremely busy the last few months and have not had a lot of down time with the kids, even though we fit pieces in here and there each week.

My husband felt that we needed some more family time together, without their friends, so we headed down to Disneyland. We got there early and jumped on all kinds of rides. My youngest son and I jumped on the Mad Hatter Tea Cups and I spun us around until I couldn't get us to go any faster. We were laughing and having so much fun. My daughter and I hit up the tortilla factory and sourdough bread factory at Disney's California Adventure. I have been to both places many times, but each time is a different experience with the person you are with. I really enjoyed having my kids be the only priority for the day.

The song "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Garth Brooks brings home your priorities. The chorus of the song says:

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face the world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

Our world as we know it is changing. Just look at the tragedy that hit Virginia Tech. We need to sit down and decide what we want to do and what we need to do. Find all of those things that can be delegated or outsourced and give them up so that we can take care of the things that are truly our priority. I have been saying "No" a lot more lately because I don't want to be tied down to things I don't want to do and have them take away from the things I want to do.

Like Tim McGraw says in his song "Live like you were dying." Whether your priority is making sure everyone eats together at the dinner table each night or being there when your little one attends their first day of kindergarten or saving enough money to purchase your first home, it is up to you to take care of those priorities.

No comments: