Friday, September 19, 2008

Are you prepared?

As I am sitting here trying to finish getting ready for my trip to Florida next week, I realize that I am not as prepared as I should be. I have known about this trip for a year now. I kept telling myself I had plenty of time to get my materials ready not only for my vendor table, but for my session I am teaching as well. Now I am down to the last two days and I still have plenty of work to do.

Are you prepared for your business and your clients? For example, if you have scheduled a pet sitting assignment weeks ahead of time, you should take the time right then and there to put together all of the paperwork that you will need and set the folder aside ready to go. Why? When the day comes for you to run off to your first visit, if you haven't prepared ahead of time, you may rush off without paperwork or the keys, which may lead to you having to return to your office or forgetting something you need to do during your visit.

We all can get overwhelmed from time to time and forget about little things we have to do. It is best to take the time to write down, while you still have a fresh memory, what it is that you need to do. It could be a to-do list or a spot on your calendar. I know that when I first get up, my mind has the day's events rolling about in it. If I take a few moments to sit down and write out everything possible that I can think of that I have to take care of, whether it is for that day or not, I will not forget about a small detail that may turn out to be important.

OK, I am off to finish my packing. As usual, I will be just fine as I put together a packing list several weeks ago and I know what I need so I don't forget anything.

No comments: