Friday, January 02, 2009

Did you really fail?

My mom always taught my sisters and I when we were growing up to try different things. At the dinner table we were told to take a bite of everything she offered. Just one bite. If we didn't like it we didn't have to eat more, but we would never know if we truly did or didn't like something until we tasted it. I have instilled this same value in my kids and they have learned that they like many different foods all because they tried it.

The same thing happens in our lives. We may try different boyfriends and girlfriends out until we find "the right one". We may try living in different cities until we find the right location we want to stay in. We may go through a variety of jobs until we find the right fit. It is the same with starting a business. Many people are afraid of failing before they have even given it a chance, so they are afraid to try something new out.

I have seen many people start and stop their own errand or concierge business through the more than a decade that I have been in business. For those that had a mindset from the beginning that it wasn't going to work, (you may have said it was going to work on the outside, but deep down you told yourself it wasn't going to work) you set yourself up for failure. For those that gave it their best shot, but it didn't work out, you didn't fail. You just found out that it didn't work for you.

I have worked on things that I thought were great ideas only to find out that they didn't work at all. It is not about failure, but about finding out the lessons you learned each time something didn't work and using those lessons to help you on your path to success. As Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed. I have successfully discovered 1,200 ideas that don't work."

No comments: