Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is Disney one of the many needing a boost?

As a annual pass holder of Disneyland, I receive their newsletters that come to me via email. One such email recently hit my inbox and I checked it out. To my surprise they had a link to see about their payment option plan. Payment option plan? As a Southern California resident, you can purchase an annual pass and pay over twelve months. Twelve months? A whole year to pay off your pass? From Disneyland? I know it is the happiest place on Earth, but the person counting the tills doesn't seem to be very happy with the income reports.

Is Disneyland only one of the latest casualties being hit by the slower economy? I think so. If I had to choose between food on my table or a pass to Disneyland, the obvious choice would be food. Now if I could put food on my table and still scrape together enough each month to buy an annual pass for my family, that would make me happier. I think that is the mindset behind Disney and their choice to help locals who they know would return far more often than someone from another state or country who may have been saving for a while to get to Disneyland.

I have to say that while I haven't seen any advertising for this, mostly the get in on your birthday for free, I have to say that it may be what Disney needs to boost sales. What they need to do though is put on their imaginears and think of a great advertising scheme without sounding desperate. They could be like your local gym. Get a ton of people who think they will frequent Disneyland to buy passes, pay a monthly fee, and then not use the pass as much as they thought they would. I hear a ching! ching!

No comments: