Thursday, October 11, 2007

Have you been counting the years?

It’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
— Abraham Lincoln

When I was attending the ICEA Conference a couple of weeks ago, someone said in their session, "We shouldn't live to work, we should work to live." In the end, you can't take your house or your car or your other worldly possessions with you. All you can take with you are your memories. Why would you want to look back on your life and think about all of the hours you put in at work to just pay for a house that you never had time to enjoy or think about all of the "What if's" that you never got to fulfill because you had your nose to the grindstone?

Sure a person can live to be 100, but what good is it if you never enjoyed those 100 years? I would rather live to be 40 and have enjoyed my life than live to be 80 with nothing to look back on. I enjoy the Tim McGraw song "Live like you were dying". The words in it are so true. For most of us, if you were to ask the question "What would you do if you only had a week to live?" the list of things would be long. People would talk about the trips they would take, the food they would try, the things they would buy, the people they would see, and so on.

Why would it take someone knowing they only had a short amount of time to live for them to put aside the everyday things and finally live like they want to? Another great song I like is Garth Brooks' "If tomorrow never comes". He says in the song "So I made a promise to myself to say each day how much she means to me and avoid that circumstance where there’s no second chance to tell her how I feel." How many people do you know are given second chances? I bet that list is very, very short.

You still have time to live like you were dying. What are you waiting for?

No comments: